The Advantages and Disadvantages of CNG Conversion Kits
Compressed Natural Gas is one of the most viable alternative fuel options today. Natural gas has been used as fuel in domestic households for many years but it hasn’t achieved mainstream use as fuel for automobiles. As an alternative to buying a new NGV, car owners can also choosing to convert an existing vehicle to run on CNG.
A CNG conversion kit is a set of components that are installed in a vehicle so it can operate using CNG. CNG conversion kits usually come with parts such as regulator, high pressure tubing and fittings, pressure gauge, filling nozzle, hoses, hose clamps, advance timing processor, fuel change over “ON/Off” switch as well as the necessary wiring, straps and screws.
The fuel change over switch allows the driver to switch from gasoline to CNG in just a push of a button. CNG conversion kits usually do not include the CNG tank or cylinder as well as the cylinder valve. They are purchased separately from the CNG conversion kit. CNG United will provide you ALL parts and accessories needed to successfully complete your conversion.
Using CNG conversion kits has several advantages and a few disadvantages also. For people who are contemplating on making the switch from purely gasoline-run vehicle to a CNG/gasoline bi-fuel system, knowing these advantages can help you make the right decision that is best for you.
Advantages of CNG:
- Natural gas is significantly less expensive than gasoline. The cost of natural gas can go as low as $0.64 a GGE or Gasoline Gallon Equivalent. In some areas, natural gas costs as low as a third of the cost of gasoline, on average.
- CNG is more eco-friendly than gasoline. Natural gas produces far fewer harmful emissions and hydrocarbons than gasoline.
- Using CNG makes the engine cleaner and more efficient. Unlike gasoline, CNG minimizes harmful carbon deposits when combusted. This results to a cleaner and more efficient engine as well as longer lasting spark plugs. Oil changes are also minimized because of carbon deposits that contaminate the oil is eliminated.
- CNG is abundant in the U.S. The country has extensive natural gas resources and a well-established network of pipelines. Switching to CNG can help ease the country’s dependence to foreign oil.
- CNG has higher Octane levels averaging over 120 Octane .
Disadvantages of CNG:
- CNG tanks require storage space. You may need to sacrifice some of the space in the trunk (for cars), truck bed (for pickup trucks) or behind the back seat (for SUVs). The CNG cylinder can be heavy, the added weight of the tank is offset by the reduced weight of a gasoline fuel.
- CNG Filling stations have limited availability. CNG conversion is most practical and convenient for people living in areas with easy access to CNG filling stations -or- consider installing a Home CNG Fueling Unit – Talk to us – (949) 234-7255.
To continue to learn more about CNG kits, please follow the below link:
- Overview of Kits: CNG Conversion Kits